Philosophy of Logic, Philosophy of
Mathematics, Decision Theory, Environmental Philosophy, Ecology and Conservation Biology.
Current Research Projects
Formal Approaches to Legal Reasoning, Mathematical Notation (ARC funded),
Mathematical Explanation (ARC funded), Decision and Risk in Environmental Science,
Group Decision Methods (DAFF funded),
Ecological Allometries (STIAS funded).
Selected Recent Papers
- 'The Ins and Outs of Mathematical Explanation', Mathematical Intelligencer, forthcoming.
- 'Biodiversity and Triage', in H. Leitgeb, I. Niiniluoto, E. Sober, and P. Seppälä (eds.), Proceedings of the 15th Congress of Logic, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science, College Publications, forthcoming.
- 'Value of Information and Monitoring in Conservation Biology', Environment, Systems and Decisions, forthcoming.
- 'Two Flavours of Mathematical Explanation', in A. Reutlinger and J. Saatsi (eds.),
Explanation Beyond Causation, Oxford University Press, forthcoming. (Coauthors: John Cusbert
and Kelvin McQueen.)
- 'How Mathematics Can Make a Difference', Philosophers' Imprint, forthcoming. (Coauthors: Sam Baron
and David Ripley.)
- 'Time Enough for Explanation', The Journal of Philosophy, forthcoming. (Coauthor: Sam Baron.)
- 'Making Ado without Expectations', Mind, forthcoming.
(Coauthor: Alan Hájek.)
- 'Disagreement Behind the Veil of Ignorance' Philosophical Studies, Vol. 170, No. 3 (September 2014), 377–94. (Coauthors: Ryan Muldoon, Chiara Lisciandra, Carlo Martini, Giacomo Sillari, and Jan Sprenger.)
- 'Tolerating Gluts: A Reply to Beall', Mind, Vol. 123, No. 491 (July 2014), 813–28. (Coauthors: Zach Weber, David Ripley, Graham Priest, and Dominic Hyde.)
- 'Voting Systems for Environmental Decisions: A Review', Conservation Biology, Vol. 28, No. 2 (April 2014), 322–32.
(Coauthors: Mark A. Burgman, Helen M. Regan, Lynn A. Maguire, James Justus, Tara G. Martin and Kris Rothley.)
- 'Resolving Disagreement through Mutual Respect', Erkenntnis, Vol. 78, No. 4 (August 2013), 881–98. (Coauthors: Carlo Martini and Jan Sprenger.)
- 'Idealisations in Normative Models', Synthese, Vol. 190, No. 8 (May 2013), 1337–50.
- 'Road Work Ahead: Heavy Machinery on the Easy Road', Mind, Vol. 121, No. 484 (October 2012), 1031–46.
- 'Just What is Vagueness?', Ratio, Vol. 25, No. 1 (March 2012), 19–33.
(Coauthor: Otávio Bueno.)
- 'Indexing and Mathematical Explanation', Philosophia Mathematica (3), Vol. 19, No. 3 (October 2011),
(Coauthor: Alan Baker.)
- 'An Inferential Conception of the Application of Mathematics', Noûs, Vol. 45, No. 2 (June 2011), 345–74.
(Coauthor: Otávio Bueno.)
- 'The Conservation Game', Biological Conservation, Vol. 144, No. 4 (April 2011), 1246–53.
(Coauthors: James Justus and Helen M. Regan.)
For a complete publication list and many downloadable papers, see Mark's Research
For publications listed by topic, see Mark's Publications by Topic.
Other Activities and
Past President of the Society for Risk Analysis (Australia and New Zealand) (2013);
Past President of the Australasian Association of Philosophy (2005–2006);
Member of the editorial boards of The Bulletin of Symbolic Logic,
The Australasian Journal of Philosophy, and